SOUTH HILLS POWER YOGA 200-HOUR TEACHER TRAINING - 2017
UPDATE: OUR 2017 TRAINING IS NOW FULL. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR OUR 2018 DATES SOON!
Inspired Power Yoga:
Focusing on a Power Vinyasa style of yoga that ignites the body and mind, this training provides participants with a deep understanding of yoga postures and sequencing so they can confidently create safe and effective yoga classes. The program consists of eight intensive weekends over the course of a six-month period, as well as home study, written assignments, practice hours, and real-time teaching experience. Successful completion of all the requirements of the South Hills Power Yoga Teacher Training will enable graduates to register with Yoga Alliance at the RYT-200 hour level.
Who should take this training?
South Hills Power Yoga Teacher Training is designed for yoga practitioners interested in becoming yoga teachers and for those wishing to deepen their personal practice. The SHPY teacher training is also a great opportunity for yoga teachers of varying backgrounds to train with a focus on power vinyasa yoga.
- A consistent yoga practice
- A desire to learn & share
- Commitment to the entire teacher training process
Please Note: An advanced asana practice is NOT a requirement of this teacher training program. Start where you are!
The Application Process:
The 2017 application process is "rolling". Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received (or until the program is full). Class size is limited to ensure that each participant receives adequate attention and access to faculty. (The application process opens at the end of the Open House to be held on Sunday, December 11, 2016.)
- Teaching Techniques for the practices of meditation, asana & pranayama
- Hands-on Adjustments - techniques and best practices for seeing and adjusting your students’ bodies
- Anatomy: focusing on both the physical and energetic body
- History & Philosophy of yoga
- Yoga Ethics
- The Business of Yoga
- Mindful integration of music into yoga classes
Trainees will gain experience by regularly teaching to their peers, giving and receiving feedback, as well as by teaching to the public in SHPY community classes.
Dates for the Program Open House & Eight Intensive Weekends - 2017:
Open House for 2017 Training: Sunday, December 11 (2-4:30p.m. @ SHPY-Dormont)
Weekend One: February 24-26
Weekend Two: March 3-5
Weekend Three: March 17-19
Weekend Four: March 31-April 2
Weekend Five: April 21-23
Weekend Six: May 5-7
Weekend Seven: June 2-4
June & July - Independent Study & Community Classes
Weekend Eight: July 14-16
2017 Schedule for Intensive Weekends*:
Friday: 7:15-10:30p.m. (@ SHPY - Dormont)
Saturday: 1-8p.m. (@ SHPY - Peters)
Sunday: 9a.m.-5p.m. (@ SHPY - Dormont)
*Exact times and location are subject to change.
Additional Time Commitments:
Participants will also be required to:
- Complete all reading and related assignments
- Attend 36 regularly scheduled SHPY classes between February 24 and June 4, 2017 (cost included)
- Attend 4 outside yoga classes (additional cost)
- Attend (and/or) assist a set number of FREE trainee community classes (Dates- TBD)
- Complete Independent Study
(The entire training process will take six-months to complete and some requirements are based on individual and group scheduling needs. Additional contact hours will be scheduled during the course of the training, some on an individual basis.)
Total Cost: $2,800
$300 Non-Refundable Application Fee (Must be paid in full before application can be processed. Application Fee is waved for those who attended FREE Open House on Sunday, December 11, 2016.)
$2,500 Tuition (A payment plan is available and will be fully explained at the Open House and in the application.)
- Unlimited yoga at SHPY (for the duration of the Teacher Training Program)
- 8 Intensive Weekends
- SHPY Teacher Training Workbook
- An opportunity to assist community classes
- At least one opportunity to teach a public community class at SHPY
- SHPY Teacher Training Alumni Benefits - Includes future discounts on studio classes & in-house events
Required Books (Final List For 2017 Training):
Journey Into Power by Baron Baptiste
Yoga Anatomy 2nd Edition by Leslie Kaminoff
Quiet Mind – A Beginner’s Guide to Meditation by Susan Piver
Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika by B. K. S. Iyengar
The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary by Chip Hartranft
Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul by Sharon Gannon & David Life
Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga Videos
Yoga Mat Companion 1: Anatomy for Vinyasa Flow and Standing Poses by Ray Long
Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System by Anodea Judith
*Participants are responsible to provide:
- All required reading materials
- All supplies needed for yoga practices
- A journal & pen
- Meals during the 8 Intensive Weekends
- Lodging & Food package for final TT weekend at Gateway Lodge. (Weekend Eight (July 14-16, 2017) will be held at Gateway Lodge. Participants are responsible to pay the additional cost of the Training Retreat Lodging & Food Package. (Cost varies based on double ($290/ person) or single ($485/ Person) occupancy in lodge suites. Gateway scheduling information will be explained in full to training participants at the program orientation.)
Primary E-RYT Teacher Training Instructors:
Friday Night Master Classes With:
Prenatal Yoga Workshop With:
Restorative Yoga Workshop With:
Additional Guest Teachers:
“I would recommend Yoga Teacher Training at SHPY to anyone interested in deepening their practice, gaining more knowledge and/or preparing to teach and share the joys of yoga. It is a solid education in pose anatomy, class sequencing and flow, yoga philosophy, integration of music and how to find your voice and intention as a teacher. This training was one of the most challenging things I have ever done and one of the most rewarding. It changed my life!” ~Ann Hollern (SHPY 200-Hour TT Alumna)
"I've never felt so much love and support from people that were once strangers to me. My fellow yogis created such a safe and welcoming environment. We all laughed, cried, sweat, shared and took care of each other. We began an endless journey together. The SHPY TT Program literally changed my life! I now have the confidence, wisdom, education, and love to empower/serve others through Yoga." ~Amanda Ippolito (SHPY 200-Hour TT Alumna)
“Yoga teacher training at SHPY was a huge catalyst for me. My humble teachers encouraged me to make peace with uncertainty and to approach everything on and off my mat with a beginner's mind. This program has deepened my journey of opening my heart and connecting to my spirit. I will be forever grateful for this experience.” ~Louann Dukes (SHPY 200-Hour TT Alumna)
"I would recommend SHPY's teacher training program without hesitation. The staff struck a perfect balance between pushing you to become a confident teacher and providing honest/useful feedback. The training process was powerful and most importantly, empowered me to feel prepared to teach anywhere." ~Elizabeth Green (SHPY 200-Hour TT Alumna)
Please use the below form to message the studio with any questions you have regarding the 2017 SHPY Teacher Training Program.
TEACHER TRAINING REFUND POLICY:
The $300.00 application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
All tuition payments become non-refundable on February 5, 2017 and thereafter.
If South Hills Power Yoga cancels the teacher training, a full credit or refund will be issued.
South Hills Power Yoga reserves the right to amend this policy at its sole discretion.
No refund will be given for failure to attend or failure to complete the program.
By applying to/registering for this program, you agree to comply with these terms.